Climate Change and Environmental Justice
Our planet is in crisis. Climate change is not some distant threat — we’re witnessing many of its effects today. And the immediate burden of much of the pollution causing climate change is disproportionately borne by low-income communities and communities of color.
As president, Cory will take immediate steps to combat climate change, and protect and defend all communities affected by pollution and environmental injustice:
- Rejoin the Paris Climate Accord.
- Undo the damage the Trump Administration has done at the Environmental Protection Agency and hold polluters accountable.
- Work to implement a Green New Deal.
- Put a moratorium on drilling on our public lands.
- Reauthorize and triple the Superfund tax on chemical and oil companies.
- Increase fees on coal mine operators to pay for the cleanup of abandoned mines.
- Protect marginalized communities suffering from environmental injustices by increasing staffing at the EPA’s
- Environmental Justice Office and the External Civil Rights Enforcement Office.
- Step up efforts to defend communities of color, low-income communities, and indigenous communities by doubling staffing in all EPA enforcement offices.
- Safeguard the basic human right to safe drinking water.
- End the plague on communities caused by lead paint.
- Stop polluting companies from evading responsibility for environmental cleanups.
- Raise the standards for granting or renewing Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act Permits.